by JW. Robert Nay
This manual combines innovative self-discovery tools and targeted exercises for understanding and managing the five unproductive faces of anger, from passive aggressive to all out rage.
Angry people often get into trouble--with spouses and kids, bosses and colleagues, friends and strangers--and "putting a lid on it" is easier said than done. Yet this powerful, often destructive emotion can be tamed with the effective six step program presented in this book. Anger expert Dr. Robert Nay, who has conducted popular trainings and workshops nationwide on his proven approach, combines innovative self-discovery tools and targeted exercises for understanding and managing the five unproductive faces of anger, from passive-aggression to all-out rage. Quizzes, worksheets, and practice tips help readers assess when and why their anger becomes a problem, switch gears before it escalates out of control, and channel anger in more productive ways. Beyond just learning textbook strategies, readers gain skills to make anger control second-nature in stressful, hot-button situations.
- Meets a real need: Unchecked anger disrupts relationships, jobs, parenting, and more.
- Field-tested approach has been fine-tuned over 20 years of research and successful clinical work.
- Reveals the positive side of anger and how to channel it into assertive problem solving.
Step One: Understanding and Recognizing Anger
1. The Faces of Anger: Who Do You See in the Mirror?
2. Behind the Mask: Understanding Anger and Its Expression
Step Two: Identifying and Preparing for Anger Triggers
3. Understanding Your Anger Triggers
Step Three: Pinpointing your Anger Early on and Dampening Arousal
4. Anger Awareness
5. Dampening Anger Arousal
Step Four: Identifying and Changing Thoughts That Fuel Anger
6. Recognizing Thoughts That Fuel Anger
7. Rewriting Your Script: New Thinking for New Solutions
Step Five: Staying Cool Under Fire
8. Assertive Problem Solving: Expressing Anger Constructively in Conflict Situations
9. When Anger Is Aimed at You
Step Six: Staying the Course--Sustaining New Behavior and Coping With Roadblocks
10. Establishing New Anger Habits
11. So You've Had a Setback: Getting Back on Track
1. Self-Assessment of Anger Questionnaire (SAQ).
2. Personal Anger Scale.
3. Anger Analysis.
Stock- Usually ships in 2-3 business days!