by Edited by Cathy A. Malchiodi
Rich with case material and artwork samples, this volume demonstrates a range of creative approaches for facilitating children's emotional reparation and recovery from trauma
Rich with case material and artwork samples, this volume demonstrates a range of creative approaches for facilitating children's emotional reparation and recovery from trauma. Contributors include experienced practitioners of play, art, music, movement and drama therapies, bibliotherapy, and integrative therapies, who describe step-by-step strategies for working with individual children, families, and groups. The case-based format makes the book especially practical and user-friendly. Specific types of stressful experiences addressed include parental loss, child abuse, accidents, family violence, bullying, and mass trauma. Broader approaches to promoting resilience and preventing posttraumatic problems in children at risk are also presented.
"Malchiodi is a widely read and well-respected art therapist whose work on the treatment of childhood trauma is exemplary. This book addresses the rich array of therapies to which terrified youngsters respond. For the newcomer to the field who wishes to learn how drawings, doll play, music, relaxation, and storytelling may be used after devastating events-or for the old hand at working with kids who wants a good review of what's new-this is just the book."
-Lenore C. Terr, MD, author of Magical Moments of Change
"This comprehensive resource delivers everything the title promises and more. Grounded in current trauma theory, the book presents creative, evidence-based therapeutic approaches developed specifically for children and adolescents. It also provides a clear understanding of childhood PTSD and its implications for treatment....I highly recommend this book to practitioners and would also use it as a training text for students."
-Elizabeth A. Warson, MA, ATR-BC, Graduate Art Therapy Program, Eastern Virginia Medical School
Cathy A. Malchiodi, ATR-BC, LPCC, CPAT, is a licensed clinical mental health counselor, art therapist, and expressive arts therapist, and is also a faculty member at the National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children and at Lesley University. She has more than 25 years of clinical experience in working with people of all ages and has worked as an art therapist with survivors of traumatic experiences, including domestic violence, physical and sexual abuse, disaster, and serious or life-threatening illnesses. Ms. Malchiodi is a frequent presenter on art and health care throughout the United States, Canada, Asia, and Europe, and has given more than 250 invited presentations. She is the only person to have received all three of the American Art Therapy Association's highest honors: Distinguished Service Award (1991), Clinician Award (2000), and Honorary Life Member Award (2002). The author or editor of numerous books, including The Art Therapy Sourcebook, Understanding Children's Drawings, and the Handbook of Art Therapy, she has also published over 70 peer-reviewed papers on the use of art therapy and arts medicine with trauma survivors, survivors of child physical and sexual abuse, people with psychiatric disorders, and those with physical illness.
332 Pages, Illustrations: 38 black-and-white figures, Size: 6" x 9"
I. Creative Interventions and Children: Basics of Practice
1. Creative Interventions and Childhood Trauma, Cathy A. Malchiodi
2. Effective Practice with Traumatized Children: Ethics, Evidence, and Cultural Sensitivity, Cathy A. Malchiodi
II. Creative Interventions with Individuals
3. Expressive Therapy for Severe Maltreatment and Attachment Disorders: A Neuroscience Framework, P. Gussie Klorer
4. Music and Grief Work with Children and Adolescents, Russell E. Hilliard
5. Grieving in the Public Eye: Art Therapy with Children Who Lost Parents in the World Trade Center Attacks, Laura V. Loumeau-May
6. Medical Art and Play Therapy with Accident Survivors, Elizabeth Sanders
7. Creative Approaches to Minimize the Traumatic Impact of Bullying Behavior, Diane S. Safran and Elysa R. Safran
8. Trauma, Loss, and Bibliotherapy: The Healing Process of Stories, Cathy A. Malchiodi and Deanne Ginns-Gruenberg
III. Creative Interventions with Families and Groups
9. Creative Crisis Intervention Techniques with Children and Families, Lennis G. Echterling and Anne Stewart
10. Working Creatively with Children and Their Families after Trauma: The Storied Life, Ann Cattanach
11. Vanquishing Monsters: Drama Therapy for Treating Childhood Trauma in the Group Setting, Craig Haen
12. A Group Art and Play Therapy Program for Children from Violent Homes, Cathy A. Malchiodi
13. Interventions for Parents of Traumatized Children, William Steele and Cathy A. Malchiodi
IV. Creative Intervention as Prevention
14. Resilience and Posttraumatic Growth in Traumatized Children, Cathy A. Malchiodi, William Steele, and Caelan Kuban
15. Ready..., Set..., R.E.L.A.X.!: Relaxation Strategies with Children and Adolescents, Roger J. Klein
Stock: Usually ships in 4-8 business days!