by Marsha M. Linehan
This volume is the authoritative presentation of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Linehan's comprehensive, integrated approach to treating individuals with borderline personality disorder.
This volume is the authoritative presentation of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Linehan's comprehensive, integrated approach to treating individuals with borderline personality disorder. DBT--which has since been adapted for other difficult-to-treat disorders involving emotion dysregulation--combines cognitive and behavioral strategies with elements of psychodynamic, strategic, and other modalities. Delineated are specific strategies for contingency management, exposure, cognitive modification, and skills training. In-depth descriptions of skills training procedures are provided in the companion manual, and core emotion regulation skills are also taught directly to clients in Linehan's skills training videos.
"Linehan is a brilliant, compassionate, and rigorous therapist for borderline patients. What's more, and what is most unusual for master therapists, she has proven its efficacy in published randomized, controlled trials. What is fortuitous for borderline patients and their therapists is that she has painstakingly crafted a wise book and user-friendly manual well grounded in principle, detailed in its strategies, and exportable to a wide range of treatment settings.....Linehan has set a high standard of treatment for borderlines in the 1990s; the patients will be the ultimate beneficiaries."
-Charles R. Swenson, MD, New York Hospital, Westchester Division
I. THEORY AND CONCEPTS.
1. Borderline Personality Disorder: Concepts, Controversies, and Definitions.
2. Dialectical and Biosocial Underpinnings of Treatment.
3. Behavioral Patterns: Dialectical Dilemmas in the Treatment of Borderline Patients.
II. TREATMENT OVERVIEW AND GOALS.
4. Overview of Treatment: Targets, Strategies, and Assumptions in a Nutshell.
5. Behavioral Targets in Treatment: Behaviors to Increase and Decrease.
6. Structuring Treatment Around Target Behaviors: Who Treats What and When.
III. BASIC TREATMENT STRATEGIES.
7. Dialectical Treatment Strategies.
8. Core Strategies: Part I. Validation.
9. Core Strategies: Part II. Problem Solving.
10. Change Procedures: Part I. Contingency Procedures (Managing Contingencies and Observing Limits.
11. Change Procedures: Part II. Skill Training, Exposure, Cognitive Modification.
12. Stylistic Strategies: Balancing Communication.
13. Case Management Strategies: Interacting with the Community.
IV. STRATEGIES FOR SPECIFIC TASKS.
14. Structural Strategies.
15. Special Treatment Strategies.
Stock: Usually ships in 8-10 business days!